Friday, June 11, 2010

Don't get technical

My three year old found a DVD of Up in the computer today. Instantly he wanted to watch it on the TV, that's ok, it's watchable. The thing is, the DVD was from the Blu-Ray version which included a copy on DVD. I found myself trying to convince him that we should use the other disc (i.e. the Blu-Ray version) but was having trouble translating my purely technical argument into 3-year-old style logic.

Turns out it doesn't translate well and in the end I relented.

It made me think about his descision making process. He wanted to play the DVD because it had a different picture on it than the 'other' disc. Even once it was in the machine, he was excited because the menu was different, thus new.

Whilst it may be said that 3 year olds are easily influenced they can also be finicky.

This whole story would be a lesson in how not to negotiate with your three year old, or when to know you're fighting a lost cause, if it were not for the fact that the DVD stopped working part way through and we had to revert to the 'other' disc.

It wasn't me, I swear!

No comments: