Monday, June 20, 2011

Waterfall 101

This is not going to turn into a photography blog but I was in the Blue Mountains on the weekend with all my camera gear (it's just easier to take it all) and with limited time thought I would try my hand at a waterfall.

So ok, I'm at the top not at the bottom, first mistake. 2nd was no tripod (no time to go fetch it, toddler falling asleep). 3rd was no ND filter so I had to make do with a small aperture of F22 (that's the right word small?) and a slow ISO of 100 which managed to push the exposure out to 1.6s.

I've seen examples where the aim is for 30s exposure but you definitely need the ND filter for that (and usually the super bad ND400).  So this was my quick attempt at dreamy water. I think for hand held, balanced on a railing at 1.6s it turned out not too bad.

A little bit of post processing in Aperture to clean it up and whalla. All this with the poorly reviewed 20mm F2.8 lens!

I promise, next time, I will make the effort, go down the bottom and do a post card worth waterfall!

No comments: