Monday, June 25, 2012

School Holidays

Yep, it's that time of year again, where I lament the change in my lifestyle. Previously, I had no idea when school holidays were other than by the changes in traffic getting to work.

Now though, my life rotates around them.

And it's a nightmare of scheduling. How on earth are parents supposed to look after kids that have more holidays than any parent on the planet? Is it still the assumption that one parent is at home looking after the kids full time? Certainly not in Sydney. Who can afford to buy property on an average income in Sydney with only a single parent working?

Lucky for me, my wife works, but not full time so I only have to cover the days that she does work and so I can stretch out my leave to last the whole year. This still requires taking long service leave to make it work so I still don't know how people do it other than farm their kids out to other places (can you say vacation care?) to make it work. Whilst I know that's sometimes the only solution, I really don't like the thought of it and so far (only my second school holidays) I've managed to avoid it.

I really do want to spend time with my son during the holidays if it can be possible. Sure there will be camps and the like to go on down the track but I can still recall the joy of school holidays of spending time with my family and doing 'stuff'.

Here's hoping I can make it through at least primary school.

No comments: