Monday, January 13, 2014

A New Drive - Canon 40mm STM f/2.8

Step by step I get closer to my goal of being able to create short films on a DSLR. Over the weekend I ordered my first STM lens. From the research I've done these seem to be better suited to creating smooth focus transitions when in video mode. UCM can be too fast even though you can dial back the focus speed in the 70D I don't think it's enough and you don't get the same control you would with a stepper motor drive like ease-in and ease-out. These parameters define how quickly the focus goes from standing still to changing and can really change the feel of the focusing to make it look more like someone doing it by hand.

It is also my first pancake lens (and Canons also) and if you don't know why it earns that name, just take a look at it. It's probably going to look like a toy on my camera but hey from the reviews I've read it looks good, nice and sharp across the whole frame.





 
You can buy it here: Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens
Canon 40mm STM F/2.8

I'll post more when I get it in the post. Looking forward to it.

No comments: