Saturday, September 27, 2014

iPhone Slow Motion (240fps)

My new iPhone6 has arrived and one of the first things I wanted to try out was the slow motion. It can record at 240 fps or 120 fps although only at 720p. It can do 60 fps at 1080p which is impressive for a phone.

Here's a video of some flames and sparklers slowed down by various amounts. Unfortunately, the phone had trouble focusing on the sparklers due to the low light so they're a bit fuzzy but it's still useful to see how slow we can get things.

The other issue also was that I used iMovie to slow down the video but iMovie only allows 50% 25% and 10%. Unfortunately, 240fps represents 8x slower if you use 30fps as the base rate. 8x slower would require 12.5% setting in iMovie. This means the 10% is actually a little slower than the iPhone recorded and implies there is some frame interpolation going on.

One of these days I'll upgrade to Final Cut Pro X so that I can do things properly.


No comments: