Thursday, November 24, 2005

Phew I made it

Finally I have finished the uni year with hopefully a good result. For having missed many weeks of lessons and having unintelligable lecterers I think I have done well.

Ok, quick background...I've been slaving away at my uni degree for 13 years now and hopefully I will be able to complete it in my 14th. Having started straight out of school I got disenfranchised with the whole process, seeing people pass by cramming before exams, coming out with degree without any understanding of the material.

But now I'm back with a vengance, trying to finish my degree before the kids come along. Trying to justify this huge task by nothing more than a sense of acomplishment. Big call if you ask me.

It would be different if I'd been promised more money at work from having completed a degree but I know that' s not going to happen. I got this far without it, why would having one make a difference? And it's not like the knowledge I'm learning is that useful to what I do, yet at some level I feel better for having known it.

No, to be honest my real reason is for my kids. I want to be able to say to them that it was worth it. Going through the process is almost as important as the stuff you supposedly learn. I want to be able to face my kids down the track and show them my degree (if such things are still relavent) and encourage them to do the same. I don't want them to be academically lazy like I was. Taking the easy way out might be well easy but it takes much longer to get where you're going. I'm only finally getting somewhere where I wanted to be and I've only been at it 8 years.

Sigh. That's my rant for this week!

See you all next week.

No comments: