Thursday, December 08, 2005

The Routine of life

It's funny the love hate relationship we have with routine. On the one hand we like to think of ourselves as free creatures able to do what we like when we like.

Yet we are bound to routine by life . If you want to live you have to eat.
If you want to eat you must shop, cook and cleanup. Washing must be done. So many things are dictated to us by outside (or inside) influences. We are not really as free as we would believe.

When the routines of life fall apart we find ourselves not really living anymore.

During my whole kitchen upgrade all the usual routines fell aside. Not just the ones you would assosicate with a kitchen upgrade. Yes cooking stopped. But shopping also stopped. Clothes washing stopped. And general tidyness had to stop.

This is where humans natural lazyness comes through. We have to work to survive but given the choice we would revert to our natural lazy mode albiet to conserve energy that is so precious!

When one routine stops it becomes much easier to justify not doing other things. Much easier to do less than not.

I cant help wonder what the future holds when technology makes it easier and easier to live. Where things like shopping and cooking and cleaning are done for us. What then? What will we become when we revert to lazy mode all the time? Who knows. I for one would prefer doing things myself if I can help it. Makes me feel like I am actually responsible for my survival when I know full well I'm not. No matter what I do society will take pains to protect me from myself and itself from me.

Therefor I conclude I'm not really a free agent doing what I want when I want. I am a social creature doing what I have to in order to get along. Working to live, living for some undefinable goal that I may never achieve.

I hope it's all worth it.

No comments: